Senior Electrical Engineer/Electrical Engineering Manager
Microline Corporation, Traverse City Michigan 2004 -July 2018
• New project system architecture concept development and complete detailed electrical design of electronic assemblies and subsystems. Including ILI pipeline inspection tools. Downhole casing inspection tools. Surface equipment and satellite positioning/telemetry tools. This included development of innovative modular networked system architecture for two generations of ILI inspection tools.
• Complex product/circuit design using the Altium PCB design tools that includes switching power supplies, high density NAND/EMMC flash memory, Bluetooth, GPS, Iridium satellite network interfaces, Ethernet, WIFI, USB, CAN, SPI and other serial interfaces. Battery charging and power conditioning circuits and low power battery circuits, Low field Magnetic Sensing circuits, analog data acquisition. Inductive sensing used for metal loss detection.
• Have designed over 100 printed circuit board assembly’s using Altium Designer.
• Product schematic design/simulation, printed circuit board layout using Altium Designer. Including high density Rigid, Rigid-Flex and Flex designs up to 10 layers.
• Creation and implementation of a company part numbering system for electrical assemblies,
COTs components, firmware/software items and related product documentation.
• Creation and implementation of company electrical engineering product design process.
• Created and Implemented company EE database parts library for Altium Designer facilitating a common source for all schematic and PCB design items used by the team for printed circuit board design.
• Adapt EE design process to conform to ISO 9004 standards/certification.
• Defined the processes and attributes for a companywide implementation of the Windchill PLM system. This involved adapting the EE design process for the Windchill PLM environment. It also included creation of documentation and training materials related to the electrical design process and use of Windchill as the new PLM system.
• Final review, approval of all new electrical designs and documentation prior to release and responsible for management of PCB FAB and assembly outsourcing.
• High temperature (350-degree F) electronics design including high voltage (up to 1000V) motor controls, power supplies, magnetic and signal conditioning circuits.
• Concept and design of new high temperature downhole power over multi-drop system communication data buss -Patent
• Design and build of custom testing equipment and production test equipment.
• Responsible for day-day management, leadership and mentoring a team of 4 electrical engineers with varying experience and skill levels.
Electrical Project Engineer, AAR Mobility Systems, Cadillac MI,
April 2003 – April 2004
• Responsible for electrical system design and support for shelter systems and products.
• EMC, E3 and shielding analysis for military requirements and applications. Responsible for development of in-house shielding effectiveness testing capability.
• Testing and development of environmental control units (ECU). Point of contact with vendors to specify, develop and qualify new designs.
• Development and design of automated electrical shelter leveling and expansion control system for advanced shelter system using a Allen Bradley PLC’s VFD, and Allen Bradley operator interface.
Senior Design Engineer, Nartron Corp., Reed City MI,
September 1990 – April 2003.
• Responsible for complete analog and digital circuit design, PCB layout, analysis, test, release and manufacturing support of electronic microprocessor-based controls, sensors, motor drives and power supplies for automotive, off-highway, appliance and military markets.
• Development of embedded control software for motor controls, sensors and test fixtures using C and assembly programming languages for Atmel, Microchip and Cypress Microsystems micro controllers.
• Program management, scheduling, project budget, product cost and design guidance for numerous new product development programs, concept though production.
• Effective interface and point of contact with customers during the product development process to determine needs and formulate creative, cost effective solutions and products that fulfill customer requirements resulting in increased business opportunities.
• Utilization of experience and training with EMC design and test techniques to prevent and solve EMC problems in new and existing products for automotive, commercial and military applications. Extensive experience with GM, Ford and MIL-STD-461/462 EMC testing.
• Proficient use of electrical design software including Pspice, Circuit-maker, Cad-Star, Or-Cad, Visual Cad, P&V and other engineering software tools such as MathCAD, Microsoft Project, Word, Excel and LabVIEW.
• Experience with regulatory agency approvals such as UL/CSA. US
• Experience with QS9000 quality procedures.